Table of Contents
Fix KDE Print
This obviously won't apply to everyone, but I have been using KDE Print within the KDE control center for eons without any problems until a recent install I did at work. It appears that KDE Print was not working with the latest version of CUPS. Personally, I hate printing in general, and especially from within Linux. I really didn't want to delve too far into this, so here's the workaround I managed to straighten out.
Whenever I would try to connect to the CUPS server from within KDE Print, I would get an error saying that it couldn't connect to the CUPS server. I checked
netstat and CUPS was listening on port 631 just like it is supposed to. I checked to make sure a unix socket was being created in
/var/run/cups/ and sure enough it was. Everything seemed as if it should have been working just fine. I was receiving the following error in
localhost - - [14/May/2007:15:06:22 -0500] "POST /printers/ HTTP/1.1" 200 112 CUPS-Get-Printers client-error-not-found
I couldn't find much online at all, but here's what I did.
Mainly, the fix was simply to downgrade CUPS. You might be able to go with a higher revision than what I went with here, but I played it safe.
The version of CUPS that I was having problems with was 1.2.9 and I decided to drop it a whole minor revision to 1.1.23-r8 since that was the oldest version available.
# emerge =net-print/cups-1.1.23-r8 # etc-update <selected -5> # /etc/init.d/cupsd restart
And sure enough, that fixed that problem. Then I received a different error from KDE Print after that, “
client-error-request-value-too-long”. A little bit of searching and I found a site with a couple of suggestions and the first one worked for me. The directory
/var/spool/cups did not exist. I created it and set the appropriate permissions on it and I was good to go after that.
# mkdir /var/spool/cups # chmod 775 /var/spool/cups # chgrp lp /var/spool/cups