User Tools

Site Tools


os:linux:gentoo:fixkdeprint

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

os:linux:gentoo:fixkdeprint [2007/05/14 20:43] (current)
crustymonkey created
Line 1: Line 1:
 +====== Fix KDE Print ======
 +===== Intro =====
 +This obviously won't apply to everyone, but I have been using KDE Print within the KDE control center for eons without any problems until a recent install I did at work.  It appears that KDE Print was not working with the latest version of CUPS.  Personally, I hate printing in general, and especially from within Linux. ​ I really didn't want to delve too far into this, so here's the workaround I managed to straighten out.
  
 +===== The Errors =====
 +Whenever I would try to connect to the CUPS server from within KDE Print, I would get an error saying that it couldn'​t connect to the CUPS server. ​ I checked ''​netstat''​ and CUPS was listening on port 631 just like it is supposed to.  I checked to make sure a unix socket was being created in ''/​var/​run/​cups/''​ and sure enough it was.  Everything seemed as if it should have been working just fine.  I was receiving the following error in ''/​var/​log/​cups/​access_log'':​
 +<code |/​var/​log/​cups/​access_log>​
 +localhost - - [14/​May/​2007:​15:​06:​22 -0500] "POST /printers/ HTTP/​1.1"​ 200 112 CUPS-Get-Printers client-error-not-found
 +</​code>​
 +
 +I couldn'​t find much online at all, but here's what I did.
 +
 +===== The Fix =====
 +Mainly, the fix was simply to downgrade CUPS.  You might be able to go with a higher revision than what I went with here, but I played it safe.
 +
 +The version of CUPS that I was having problems with was 1.2.9 and I decided to drop it a whole minor revision to 1.1.23-r8 since that was the oldest version available.
 +<​code>​
 +# emerge =net-print/​cups-1.1.23-r8
 +# etc-update
 +<​selected -5>
 +# /​etc/​init.d/​cupsd restart
 +</​code>​
 +And sure enough, that fixed that problem. ​ Then I received a different error from KDE Print after that, "''​client-error-request-value-too-long''"​. ​ A little bit of searching and I found a site with a couple of suggestions and the first one worked for me.  The directory ''/​var/​spool/​cups''​ did not exist. ​ I created it and set the appropriate permissions on it and I was good to go after that.
 +<​code>​
 +# mkdir /​var/​spool/​cups
 +# chmod 775 /​var/​spool/​cups
 +# chgrp lp /​var/​spool/​cups
 +</​code>​
 +
 +~~DISCUSSION~~
os/linux/gentoo/fixkdeprint.txt · Last modified: 2007/05/14 20:43 by crustymonkey